The platform is experiencing some issues - we are very sorry about it. Our engineers are already working on stabilizing the system. If you would like to get live updates on the status please subscribe on our status page here.
How do I create an invoice?
Created on 2016-10-11 20:36:25; Last updated on 2022-01-23 15:00:08
This article will show you the different ways to create an invoice on Tradeshift’s web portal. If you are using EDI to invoice your customers, have a look at these articles. If you are looking to convert and upload PDF invoices on Tradeshift, take a look at our Documents Uploader app.
Before submitting your invoice:
A few details are required to be present in your account profile, in order for you to send documents.
If required details are missing, you will get a request to add them when sending your first document.
These mandatory details can be added beforehand in the Profile app, accessed from the launcher.
- Additional information regarding your company profile details and completion is here
- Additional information regarding tax identifiers in your profile can be found here
Contact your Company Administrator for assistance, if you are not authorized to make profile changes or do not know your company identifiers.
- From the 'Create' launcher
- From the Network Manager
- By flipping a Purchase Order into an Invoice
- By using an already existing invoice as a draft
From the 'Create' launcher
The 'Create' launcher allows you to easily create any of the standard document types available on Tradeshift, which are:
- Pre-payment invoice
- Goods receipt
- Written request
- Invoice from order
- Credit Note
- Purchase Order
- Pro Forma Invoice
- Prepayment Invoice
1. You can search for the recipient in the search bar. If the recipient is not found, you can add an external connection manually (For more information read about the benefits of the Business Network).
2. Fill in details for:
- Invoice Number
- Issue Date
- Payment Due Date
- Delivery Date
- (Optional) Any relevant optional fields
3. Complete Invoice Line items:
a. Add a new (blank) item line to the invoice template
b. Add a header charge (such as shipping), a discount, or separate tax charge (see below for more details)
c. This changes "price per unit" to "price per quantity" for your invoicing needs.
4. Specify payment method.
5. Add any notes to the recipient.
6. Click to add attachments, such as a PDF invoice copy or a spreadsheet.
7. You may save the invoice as a draft, preview the finished invoice or send it to the recipient.
Clicking "Preview" will mimic sending the document first, if you would like to see error callouts before sending.
Clicking "Send" will also show error callouts, and will send the document to the customer if there are no errors.
Adding tax, header charges or discounts
The way to add tax, charges (such as shipping) or discounts from header level can be added to invoices as shown below:
Below the invoice lines, click the option to "add header charge, discount or tax"
This will make a line which you can make specific additions:
- Choose which type of line
- Add detail in the free form field
- Choose the type from dropdown menu
- Add value of the line
- Choose if the line value is a percentage of the invoices value or specified currency value
- Add or adjust tax for just this charge or discount
From the Network
- Open the Network app
- Select the Contact in your Network you want to invoice, and click the dots at the level of the contact
- Choose “Create Document” from the side menu and then “Invoice”
- You can then complete your invoice, as explained above.
By flipping a Purchase Order to an Invoice
- Open the 'Document Manager' app
- Find the Purchase Order you wish to invoice against
- Click the document line, and select “Create invoice” from the side menu
The invoice will then be pre-populated with the information from the Purchase Order
- First enter an invoice number. You will notice that the fields below are pre populated, as this is a PO based invoice and only require the PO number.
- If you only want to partially invoice the PO, you can change the lines accordingly.
- When you are ready to submit the invoice you should click the green “Send” button at the bottom of the screen.
By using an already existing invoice as draft
- Open the 'Document Manager' app and find the invoice you'd like to use as draft
- Click the "Use as draft" button from the side menu
- Choose whether you want to send the new invoice to the same recipient or to another contact. Based on this, the recipient field will need to be adjusted.
- Fill out the new invoice normally, and send!
Log into the Tradeshift platform and access Tradeshift University, our e-learning center with easy-to-watch video courses. Access these courses and take full advantage of everything we have to offer:
- A look into common invoice errors
- How to make sure your invoice was sent
- How to match up a purchase order number
- How to add an invoice number after flipping a purchase order
- How to send the same invoice to multiple users
- How to edit and invoice and resubmit a rejected one
- How to validate an uploaded document
211 people found this helpful.